Sunday, May 4, 2008

Retouch on the life of Susie Salisbury

Hola!
So I guess it has been a while since I have entered the updates and latest occurrences in my life. Its been two weeks and four days since I arrived back in Spain, although it seems so much longer than that. My schedule and activities now are completely different then what they were while I was here with the study abroad. The largest difference being the lack of thirty-four American students students that I saw and hung out with everyday. I'm taking it as a good sign though that it hasn't been that big of an adaption to make. I haven't felt friendless yet so I think we'll be ok in that area.
My family has taken me in once again, with open arms and very little demands in return. The generosity I receive from them continues to awe me everyday. I try to return the favors with help around the house, and friendship - which I think is what they like about me anyway. Currently my madre is teaching me how to crochet. It was clearly the next step after the chilo scarf I knitted earlier this semester under her supervision. I am making a purse and it is coming along very well.
From the rumors that I hear, one of her nieces from the United States is going to come live with us for a month, in hope that she will learn some Spanish. I think she is about eleven. They got really excited because I'll be here so I can act as her interpreter or something. My madre was taking to her sister about it on the phone, and insured her that I knew perfect Spanish so communication would not be a problem. I just looked at Angel with a "did she just say that" look, and he started laughing. My Spanish is anywhere near good - I barely get by understanding and speaking. Its been a challenge too with all of my phone contacts I have made from my fliers. Its been hard though to study without classes. I have been trying to study on my own but what I really need is HUGE conversation time. With all of my classes in the day, it seems that I still speak more English per day than Spanish. I really cherish the talking time with any one I can get.
And now you may ask, what am I doing with my time there. Well this is where the fun part comes in. My classes! The first week I started out with nine hours - students that I had contacted through word of mouth and through my fliers posted around town. Since then I have gained six more hours - its really been a bit by bit process. Anyway I go to the house of the students, the parents usually let me along for the whole hour. Each student is different and is at a different level. So you really have to do individual preparation for each. I try to find their interests and what they like to form games or activities with the English that we are learning. One boy, David is obsessed with dinosaurs and monsters. One day we drew pictures of a dinosaur family and we talked and appropriately named each member of the family. I have two more advanced students, Paula and Alejandra. They are both fun to teach - we're able to focus more on conversation and its been fun to teach them about American life.
Daniel is my newest student. He is twenty-seven and from Guatemala. He has lived here since he was nine. Anyway, he knows English pretty well, apparently he lived in England for nine months and learned everything there. He has been suffering in the lack of practice and conversation though, so thats where I come in. You'd think it would be one of the easier hours because I don't really have to TEACH anything per say, but you try talking about things for an hour with out running out of things to say. Its like conversation extreme, with the pressure to never let the conversation die.
Today was Mother's day in Spain. I snuck a small bouquet of flowers in to the house yesterday, and left them on the counter this morning. I also wrote a poem for my madre but I have yet to orally give it to her.
It was fast Sunday today. I haven't enjoyed my ward to much these last two Sundays. I guess its just the transition. The new BYU group of students came today. I didn't talk to any of them. I didn't want to. I don't want to see Americans anymore, and I want any of them to take my Spanish things from me. Its weird because they are from a higher Spanish program, so unlike everyone in my group who was in first year Spanish, they all speak very well. I think the ward was impressed. O well, jealous.
When I got home, Abuela was over for dinner. = ) I always like when the old people come to visit. We chatted lightly until dinner. It was fried potatoes and sausage. We skipped the postre and went straight to Flan and then after ice cream cones. Its for that reason that I can't fit inside my favorite jeans anymore.
This last weekend was a huge festivals in Spain. No one went to work, eveyone went on vaccations (in result all of my students as well). But thank goodness for a few of those good souls who invite you to things. Louis, from institute, invited me to go with him and the singles from his ward to these natural springs in the mountains. About a two bus ride from Madrid. I went up Thursday night, stayed the night at his house, then we met up with the group at seven the next morning. I had a great time! It was a group about 12 and I don't think there was one native Spaniard. lol, apparently this part of the city is where a lot of the Latino families move. I met kids from Bolivia, Ecuador, Columbia, Venezuela. We played, games, snacked on food and passed along the day. At one point a few of us went on a hike and we found this great open area of the river - a little dipper - perfect for swimming - besides the fact that the water was FrAREEZINg cold. But, just so you all know I was the first one to jump in. = ) Don't worry I had a change of clothes so was able to change once we got back to our spot.
Tomorrow I have yet more citas for work opportunities. In the morning I am meeting with a woman in Madrid, who is looking for someone to help with help around the house. In the afternoon, I am meeting with a woman who is starting a nursery and wants me to cover the 0-3 yr old class. I didn't think I would be that interested wit h either, but after the activity on Friday with the kids from Barrrio five, I kindof feel a desire to live in the city. Its always attracted me, but I let the work I was able to find me keep me from developing any opportunities in the city. Maybe this lady has something good she can offer me....but don't worry I have gotten used to not to get my hopes up. Its just hard to know what I should do. Stay where I am in Alcala and just work with what I have here, or try to find stuff in Madrid to do - the latter is what I find more appealing, but we will see how it turns out. They both have their ventejas.
Well thats it for about now - for sure there will always be more to write about. Javi should be returning from Andulicia today and he sayed he would call me. We'll see if we hang out or not.
love you all!
un abrazo fuerte
Susie

No comments: