Sunday, January 13, 2008

Las Primeras Cosas de Espana





Hola Mis Amigos!

I am here in Spain, safe and sound. Already I have so many things to say and tell about. I am living in a small house with Keri Anderson, an other girl from my group.

La Familia: We live with a woman, Encarne (si, like the meat) her husband, Angel (si, like the celestial being) and their son Eduardo (who is twenty, plays futbol, works, and goes to school). Before I came, I was very worried about what my family would be like. I didn't know it they would be happy for us to be there, or if we would be a burden to them. Also if they would be patient with my infant Spanish. I must have done something Really good before I left, because I have been given the best familia ever. They are nice and patient and loving and understanding. They do not speak any English, and when Encarne picked us up she told us there would be No Iglesia en su casa! She wants us to learn Spanish, and speaking it, she says, is the only way to do it. They also have a dog, named Indy (short for India)
The House: The house is small and has four floors. The main floor consists of a bathroom, kitchen, and living room. The next floor has three bedrooms and a bathroom, and the top floor is an attic where there is a tv, table, computer, drying rack para las ropa, and exercise equipment. They also have a garage underneath the main floor. I know, it sounds big, but somehow they manage to do a lot with a little space. Its also interesting, because they are planning to move to a smaller house in a year because they say the house now is to big.
All the floors are tile and wood. I am glad I brought slippers. Before I used them however, I was just wearing my socks and she (mi mama o Encarne) kept telling me my feet were cold and if I wanted slippers (zapatillas).
They have a small basin in the bathroom. Keri and I aren't sure what its function is. So far we have bets going for urinal or buttock washer. Any insights are welcome.
La Comida: I'm not sure what to think about hte food yet. We have tried lots of new things while we have been here. First off, they eat three main meals a day: desayuno, comida, y cena. Comida (lunch- and yes I know it is also translated as food - but thats what they call it!) is usually at 2 or 3. Cena is eaten much later at 8 or 9. Tonight we finished eaten around 9:45. For breakfast we had hot milk and cookies. For lunch, which is typically the big meal of the day we had Pelle (??) very flavorful rice with some kind of seafood. It had small baby shrimp ? (i don't even know the English words) and then some grande shrimp things. The one she gave me had these huge blacks yes and pointy moustache. To eat them, you break it in the middle, peal off the skin and eat the insides. I am into trying new things but I was surprised when I actually liked it! We also had a small ensalda that had tomatoes and lettuce drizzled with a oil dressing. For dinner, Mama made Tortilla de Espana. A common Spanish dish made of potatoes and eggs. It is made in a sauce pan on one side as whole cake and then flipped to cook the other side. It is actually something that I had tried to make at home before I came here. I asked Encarne if I could watch her make it so that I could become better at it. She laughed but said sure. She showed me all of the steps she took.
they eat fruit after every meal. There is a large drawer of apples, oranges, and bananas that they keep in the fridge and pull out when the first part of the meal is gone. And then right when you think all the fun is over - surpresa! - they surprise you with the dulce. Muchas Muchas dulces! cookies, pastries, chocolates, Encarne is always offering us the 'best chocolate' (major chocolate) and other great treats that she got from the Christmas sales. I think I am going to gain winter tuck this semester.
La Iglesia: The church is not far from our house. Encarne and Angel are not mormon but they know many members and have been to church before. Good for us because they offered us a ride. (many of our friends were not so lucky and we passed many walking in the cold - heh heh heh) (o - and it is cold here. I am very glad I sacrificed the space to bring my coat. Its been in the low thirties so far.)The ward is a decent size. We go to a family ward and our girls about doubled the relief society (well there are thirty of us, so thats understandable) There is a single adults class. I didn't understand everything he said, but I could tell it was good when he started writing comparisons of Lord of the Rings and the Book of Mormon on the board. All of the people seemed happy and friendly. Encarne actually has three nephews in the ward - they are very nice. Not a lot of people went out of there way to talk to us but I felt welcome. There are eight groups of missionaries in this ward. I asked one group of sisters if I could go out with them some time. They said sure and gave me their number to call. I want to try to do that this week.
Acala: Acala is the city that we live in. It is a suburb -ish part of Madrid. The streets are small and quaint and very clean. There are lots or small park-like areas throughout. we live very close to three and we took Indy for a walk in one this afternoon. I know it is the middle of winter, but I was surprised at the lack of green vegetation. I guess I was expecting something more like El Salvador or at least Virginia - but tis more like Utah - small trees, no grass and kinda brown. Nothing breath taking yet but I like it. We also live very close to a mall, and apparently the biggest sales of the year are going on now. we'll have to check it out later.

I am also very blessed that they have wireless at there house. Hopefully, since this is the case, I will have more opportunity to upkeep this blog. I have lots more to say but its about 11:30 now, and although the family is still up I need to go to bed to wake up early tmw. Keri and I are going running.
Hasta luego.
Susie

1 comment:

Adam Murphy said...

Susie Salisbury! Spain sounds so cool, I am way excited for you. Watch out for inddor dogs... my best friends just got back from Spain and there family had a dog. They would just it go wherever it wanted in the house, gross! Anyway one of them needed to be more careful when he walked around barefoot at night.... if you catch my drift.... thats sweet your family doesn't speak english seriously thats the best way to learn it. I loved your pictures be sure to put more!! Winter tuck? naw I can't see nothing yet:)