Saturday, January 19, 2008

The Prado

We went to the Prado this morning. The Prado is one of the largest museums in the world, home of Valezquez and Gody, its exhibits are anything short from amazing. We went on the perfect day. The sun was shining, the air was fresh. It was 4 E for the entrance fee into the museum. There are three floors. We checked our bags and lunches at the door, they wont let you take pictures either so don't try. We walked through the exhibits for a good three hours. There was so much to see-and a lot of it good appear insignificant, and even to me I didn't know a lot about the artists or the styles of the times or what to look out for. But I found unique way to really enjoy what you are looking at instead of merely glancing and walking through aimlessly (which is always a risk when attending a museum). But to avoid such a tragedy, I walked around with a small notebook and pen in my hand. I would enter a room and scan through its elements, searching for something striking or intriguing. If I found such a thing I would nonchalantly sketch it in my notebook. This way by the end of the night I had a collage of things that I had seen and been impressed by. A great way to enjoy a museum, I recommend it.
The Parque De Bueno Resta (ok not correctly spelled but you get the idea)
After lunch, we all gathered to find a place to enjoy our comida in the beautiful sunshine. Not far form the museum is a park called the park of good rest. It is pretty much the most amazing thing I have seen in the world. The park is huge, with pruned trees and hedges and trails running every which way. A large lake in the middle with rowboats for rent. People walking and sitting and roller blading and kissing (its spain) and just being! and the trees with the grass and teh sun...some of the girls in our group had the right idea and plopped down in the middle of a plot of grass to have a siesta. We kept going however after an hour of meandering throughout the trails. There was still much to be seen though so know it will be a place revisited. We passed through the calles of Perta del Sol, Plaza Mayor and Gran Via. Brooke was on the hunt for shoes and found some really gu'y ones at a zapatos store. I also made my first spain purchase - a torros window sticker for your car. Its small and lightweight so I thought it would be perfect for sending through the mail. I owe someone a birthday present soon so I thought I would be prepared. I also bought a postcard.
Plaza Mayor
A social gathering point. The Plaza is surrounded by a large five story building which I think is now used as a hotel, and with the exception of a statue in the middle of the square it is completely open. People have spread to accompany the space. Small artist posts dot the sides, two restaurants elegantly laid out tease toward the center. Random couples sit directly on the cobblestone to chat in the shine of the day. A woman covered in mud poses as a statue for a the transient audience. I stop to watch a man paint a canvas. He scoops up large puddles of paint from the pails with his scapel. Scraping the color unto a slate he then continues to apply as necessary to the propped surface. "scrap,scrap,scrap" Almost magically a figure appears before your eyes. The man turns in his smock still holding the scapel. I think he was used to the audience but I felt discovered so I moved on.
We continued on past the plaza. There were people everywhere, I felt so much to be discovered. To be lost in such a beautiful mess would have been a wonderful thing. We were nearing the end of the adventure as people wanted to go home and rest. I could have stayed all day.
Cena

Once we returned I watched TV with the Padres for a while. I like listening to the spanish, I think I am getting better. Then they made dinner - ribs, sausage, and chiscabobs -the meat only kind. Encarne did mention that in Spain the ribs are never served conneccted like in Ameraice, they are always cut into slices for smaller pieces. O, but dont forget the pan and tomato salad. O another odd thing - fruit after every meal - I didnt know it was a custom.
I have a lot of HW to do today that I haven't done yet. You think there would ahve been a ton of time to do it this week, but that in lies the problem. There is just to much to see too much to do.

I apologize for the erroneous typing today, I am tired and spell check is not one of my fortes.

1 comment:

nrm said...

Your descriptions of the plaza really make one feel as if they're there with you. Sitting and watching the "beautiful mess", as you called it, is definitely one of my favorite things to do in Europe. Barcelona has some good spots, too.