Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Bailer?

I met this girl, Danille, from New Jersey at the Alcalingua (the University I attend). We became friends when I randomly went with her to the Peluqueria to get her hair dyed. ( I talked her into getting a purple tint. Call it vicariously living?) Anyway I'm glad that I went with her because today she invited me to go to a dnace class at this club with a couple of her girlfriends. It turned out to be really fun!

The class was in this random bar in Alcala. It was all empty except for about the fifteen people who showed up for the class. A woman, Jessica, from CA, has been taking classes there for the last few weeks and she is the one who lead us there. The class included us six American girls, five Spanish men, and Oscar, the teacher.

We began with simple basic steps. Most of the moves I already know from Socail 180 or just the country dances I've been to. Oscar commented on how well I followed. = )


The five Spanish men? yes they were definitely men. Ok, maybe just one seemed to be in his forties, that would be Alberto who has been taking classes there for a year and a half. He scolded me for moving my shoulders with my hips. "Just the legs!" He kept insisting.
Angel was maybe late twenties. Think of Antonio Vanderez twenty pounds heavier and week long hangover. Good dancer though, He told me to come back on Friday night to practice when the club is open. I might take him up on that.
The other three I don't remember their names. One in the brown was a terrible dancer! I couldn't believe he was native Spanish. The better of the last two had horrible BO that reaked from his body, but he was actually one of the best dancers and while I was dancing with him I weighed the costs of the smell with the great twirls.

Well I didn't learn a lot, but I had a lot of fun, Especially with the Spanish teacher and partners (I mean - it is Spain, what better place to learn the Marangue?) We talked to Oscar after wards about signing up. Its 25 Euro for a month (so 5 euro a class?) I really am tempted to do it but I'll give myself a week to think about it.

After class, Dani wanted me to go with her over to these guys place for a while. I was all about going with her until I decided las moment at the bus stop to go home. I fell bad for leaving her there by herself (although I really am glad I came home) and I think she was a little upset to. O well. I hope she invites me to another dance place tmw, maybe I should invite her to my valentines party? yes, I probably should. Even though I don't know how she'll fit in the group for games. fellowshipping right?

A Ver: before I end I have to write about this couple that I met today! It is Jessica and Jeremy. Of course I only met them for about twenty minutes but so far they have impressed my expectations. They have been married for about three years working professional jobs in LA. Sick of the traffic and pressured life, they on a whim decided to do something a little crazy before they started their family and really settled down. So they packed everything up and moved to Spain! They had a friend here so he was able to help them find a place and get set up with phones, internet, bank accounts, etc. They also signed up for their beginner Spanish classes at the local University. Jeremy has a job here as well, teaching English Classes at a small organization.

Pretty much I am in love with their adventures. On top of that they seem to be the nicest people ever. Dani and I didn't know how to get back to the train station so they happily showed us where to go making sure we got there ok, and offering their place if we ever needed anything.
I don't know if anything will come out of it, but I asked Jeremy about volunteering at his job sometime. He seemed like it might work and said he would talk to me about it later. - I don't want to get my hopes up to high, but that would pretty much be amazing if I could go and help out. Again, one of my biggest goals here is to get involved, and I can't think of a more perfect way to do it.
But anyway, it wouldn't hurt to keep your fingers crossed for me.
Thanks

1 comment:

Karianne Salisbury said...

susie you know I am so jealous...so very very jealous :) I'm glad you are having a good time and expanding your dance skills. I hate it when people take on my talents...urg. But still...yay! Maybe if we ever see each other again, we can go dancing. Oh yea...you are moving to SLC for the summer right?