Saturday, February 16, 2008

Segovia and Pardoza and the Lamb Testicle

We went on a day trip to Segovia. It was a nice day, we were all pleasantly surprised, although a little over dressed, since the Weatherman had forcasted snow and rain.

I didn't see as much of Segovia as I wanted. I blame that on not having a map though, I should have been more agressive in searching out the places I wanted to go though. For example, it would have been really fun to see the old Mint where some of the earliest coins (dating back to the Romans and through the 18th century) were made.

We did get some great sites though. Cinderellas castle for one, (don't worry I found my knight in shinging armor inside) and then the last gothic Cathedral built in Europe before teh Renaissance began. I liked this Cathedral in particular becasue the stone they used is a littler shade then the gloomy gray that the Toldeo and Seville Calthedrals had. It made the outside look a little more happy. Although the Cathedral did sport the flying buttresses, and pointed arches, you could see some of the rising Renaissance influences. For one, the shape is not shaped as a cross like the others. And the statues and decorations on the trimming were more curvy, less spiky and intimidating. Hopefully that description makes sense but its the best I can do.

After Segovia, the group went about an hour or so south to a small pueblo called Paradoza. (?) The structures, buildings, roads, haven't changed since Mediveal Times. It was .... empty. There aren't a lot of people who live there to begin with but on Fridays I guess its not the place to be. They say Saturdays people from Madrid come up.

Despite the lack of activity we found ways to intertain ourselves. There was a huge field infront of the castle. We played Castilos and Cadeabears (?)
(casltes and Beavers), Dum-da-Da-Da (which I have at last been able to pass on and enjoy once again! thank you girls camp!), Oggly-boogly, and of course, the animal game. Mid way through our games, this groupd of old people came and circled the park. I think it was town pasear hour. lol, I love Spain.

So, to end the celebrative eveing, we decided to treat ourselves to an athuentic Horno/Asado dinner. This area (segovia ish) is famous for their baked pig and lamb. They actually use a brick oven and cook the things whole. They serve them to you, and a group of four or five will share each animal. It actually is quite an expensive dish, but the program found a way to cover half of it. I tried not to think about the money. But it turned out to be an excellent Spanish feast.

So the waiters come and they place this large dish in the middle of te table, it has all of thise animal parts sticking out here and there. Everyone just grabs a fork and pulls out the part of the slaughtered closest to them. My nieghbor and I had the fortune to pull out the lower tail area. The lower area...was still intact. We both had exactly half of what I think must have been a spine, hip-leg, and one large baked testicle. At first I didn't know what it was. "What's this ball thing?" I pushed it around with my fork at first. It streched connected to an elasticy cord. "Oh, no."

OnceI realized what it was I knew it would happen. I had to eat. I didn't want to, and if given teh option before hand I would never have requested it. But here it was, on my plate. The culture, the opportunity, they new things. The whole day became built up to that moment. It was all or nothing.

Like a gumball at the beginning. Big and round it filled my mouth. First bite, your teeth bite into a dense rubbery outerlayer, the inside suave, soft creamy like - like blended cottage cheese.

AFter wards I downed my coke, bread, and had three more helpings of salad. Needlesstosay, I was done with the meat entres.

But! I overcome a new barrier in my life, and I feel that I have grown and entered a new level of living!

Goodnight Segovia! Goodnight Pardoza! I have met your cultural challenges and I ahve conquered!

No comments: