Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Seville

Seville:

I saw it! and I loved it! If this place is so cool, I can't wait for what other areas! I dedcided that I am in love with Mudejar. Yes, a lot. It is definelty my favorite type of architecture. I think its because, I like the colors. I like that its smaller and more ....special when you take the time to look a it. and most of all I like that its geometric. Its shapes - all made out of shapes. Isn't that cool? I also had a great idea to complete the sourvinours of my trip - I want to buy a square tile peice in every place we go , to make a larger picture woith a ll of them. we'll see how it turns out. so far, i haven't gotten any and we have all ready been through two major places (toledo, and Merida) maybe I'll see some tmw?....

ok and ten bucks to rent a bike , what do you think?I really want to ...and probably will, becasue I'm crazy! woooo!! lol.

The cathedral was amazing, its the largest gothic cathedral in the world. And its not freezing like Toldeo was. We saw the tomb of Christopher Columbus.




I finally understand what flying ventrices are.


MUDEJAR - Gr

We walked along the river side of the Guadaliral ..??? We climbed upon Triana Bridge, whihc used to be called Isabel II.



WE saw a practice procession for Holy Week that takes place in Early April. Seville is renown throughout Spain and Europe for the processions that go on during that time. It was cool to see people practicing to walk in a pararde, I didn't know that much effort went into that.

But still I have to ask my self - what can I take from this, what is it going to help me learn? become? what now? sort of a thing... that I have to think a bout a little bit more.
I'll tell you how bike riding goes tomorrow. Callie, never found me so I might be going out a lone.
Over two thousand years old. Stands at the base of the Guadalquivir river (the only river port in the Iberian Peninsula). (Alamillo bridge, really want to see it) MAny old Roman structures remain such as the: aqueduct (ogeez really excited to see this one!) the Giralda. The bell tower of the Cathedral. One of the first most important symbols in the city. It is topped with a statue, known locally as El Giraldillo, representing Faith. The tower's interior was built with ramps rather than stairs, to allow the Muezzin and others to ride to the top. really big for its time. The Torre do Oro. Just a simple cylindrical tower. It has twelve sides, and the top of the dome is covered in gold. It was used as a prison during the middle ages.

Most excited to see: The Alcazar of Seville,

Mudejar styles: a mescla from :Jewish, Christian, and Muslim.
(The biggest difference between this style and others such as the Gothic, or Romanesque, is that it does not try to create new things, but simple takes other styles and reinvents or changes them)
*Uses cheap material elaborately worked, such as brick, tile, wood, and plaster
*geometric characters
*tile patterns on walls (its amazing with what you can do with jsut a few simple shapes)
*horse show arches, windows
*squares, block towers
Took

1 comment:

Christianne said...

I like the paragraphs and I think the tile idea is great. How clever you are. It would be beautiful.