Friday, February 29, 2008

Dirty Dancing Cubana Nights

Take any clip from the movie, Dirty Dancing Cubana Nights, and you would pretty much have my evening yesterday! I met Javi at the corner outside my house after his dance class and we went up to a Latin Disco in Madrid. (A, Madrid is so much cooler by car than by bus. And at night time it looks amazing!)

In the car he explained to me how Latin Dancing differs from the Spanish style. Apparently, Latins are more free with their bodies, more in the lower hips while Spaniards put more effort into technique and form.

We also talked a lot about the Cuban economy. I don't know alot about Cuba, but apparently I know even less than I thought I did after talking with him.

I had always pictured Cuba as a small, scary, dirty place, where everyone is running around scared and in fear of this oppressing dictator Fidel Castro. Death by violence is very possible and it would not be safe to go there.

When I told Javi this he just laughed. "No, Cuba is not Peligroso." he said, (no, he doesn't speak English) He went to Cuba last summer with a volunteer organization. he explained the Cuba economy to me as he saw it. (roughly translated) "There is not any money, very, very little. Trade is cut off from the United States so a lot of important products they don't have. For that they have to be very creative. For example, They do not have milk because they do not have cows, so do you know how they make cheese?" he asks, I didn't know so he continued, "They use the peel of fruit! And they make cheese! It is exactly like the cheese you would eat on a sandwich.
Everyone has what is necessary. They do not have a lot of money, but everything is free. They basic things that is, beer, chocolate, and things like that are not free but all of the basic needs are. Every citizen gets a card that says thier name and how big their family is. Depending on the size and their needs, they go to this store payed for by the government and pick up their things. Bread, medicine, toothpaste, it is all free. And everyone has it.

The Cubans are some of the happiest people. They do not have a lot but what they do have they share with everyone. When I left, I had one friend who did not have anything, hardly anything. But when I left he shared his (I didn't understood what it was his friend gave to him, but I think it was food or something, but you get the point of the story) with me. They are humble, but are always happy. Here, people have so much, but even with so little people in Cuba are happier.

They love to dance and smile and have fiestas. In the streets, they will carry a big stereo and play music. People will dance in the streets.
One time, I was up very early in the morning working on the school, and there was a man with his stereo who came by. Every moment is a party.
They are very clean people. Very clean clothes, hygiene, teeth. They do not have a lot of things but they always keep themselves very clean.

I was surprised by what Javi said. Through his interpretation it seemed that the Cuban governement was working well to provide the basic needs of the people. And maybe, if I went there, I wouldn't be gunned down as quickly as I thought.

We arrived to the place around 12. You actually had to pay to get in - 20 E for the both of us. Count this as my first Spanish date? It did include free drinks and food though...though we didn't eat any of the food, next time I wont eat so much before I come.

Salsa, marengue, Buscah (or some dance that starts with a B), cha-cha. We danced and danced. Javi showed me new moves every time. and yes, he did try to teach me to shake my hips correctly.

Towards the end of the night, however, I was getting more tired, and he was getting more affectionate. A, he started blowing on me then B, started ruffling my hair. O great. And then, here's the kicker, he said I had chocolate on my neck then tried to lick it off!

But if there's one thing I have learned at BYU it is to know when and how to say no. Sorry Javi, but I don't want to kiss you. (sometimes I am thankful for how blunt the language gap allows you to be)

After that we just made faces at each other while we were dancing. Sometimes he would get up real close, pucker, then flip away really fast. what a tease.
Anyway some things can only last so long, so by the end of the night we were were sitting down and he asks me why I don't want to kiss him.
If a guy ever asks you that, just be blunt about it, its the best way. I'm glad we were able ti talk about it actually it made us better friends.

I don't know you well enough. I said, if I kiss a guy I want to make sure that he is a good guy and someone I can trust.

You want to be friends first, hang out more, get to now each other by doing things together, then if things are good then you would kiss him.

yes. but you get to know someone by hanging out with them before you kiss them.

I wasn't surprised that things didn't go bad after that. Nope, things got better. They always do. Sometimes its hard to set lines and rules but if you do it will always help the relationship. We were both able to say what we wanted and would do. Communication is key.
After that I asked him if we could go, I was tired and done for the night.
He dropped me off, said he'd call me tonight. There is a single adults dance at the stake center in Madrid I invited him to. Still thinking if I want him to come though.

PS, on the way home we also talked about the other night and how I got a ride home with them and if I was thinking they were bad guys or something. lol, I thought it was so funny - like he could read my thoughts. Yes, I said, I was scared and I did not know if I could trust you. He said that Oscar had said I probably was thinking that. how brillant guys are.

1 comment:

Adam Murphy said...

Susie! guapacita!! you be careful good communication