Thursday, February 28, 2008

Charity, the two circles of

“Do what you will, there is going to be some benevolence, as well as some malice, in your patient’s soul. The great thing is to direct the malice to his immediate neighbors whom he meets every day and to thrust his benevolence out to the remote circumference, to people he does not know."

The Screwtape Letters, C. S. Lewis

This is what I see in my life sometimes, and one thing that I need to stay away from. Most of the time, its much funner and easier to serve someone you don't know, or to go somewhere big and far to do something big and great. I know that when I'm standing in the bus at the line, I always look around for that old woman I can say hi to or help to the bus. I want to find an old folks home to go volunteer at. And although those are great things, many times, I don't go out of my way to see if Keri, my companion in line with me, is having a good day. I don't invite others in my group to come with me to an activity I have found, or to accompany me to the old folks home.

Its hypocritical to be prejudiced in where you place your charity. I want to make sure that I can truly be a person of Christlike love. Help those close to me as well as those who are far away.

No comments: